Leximo is a “Social Dictionary” that invites users to submit words in every spoken language of the world. Since each word can be submitted by multiple users, definitions can vary widely in quality and thus other users can rank these definitions, so that the most popular definitions appear first.
The idea for Leximo was spurred by the current outdated and obsolete selection of dictionaries on the web, which included dictionaries that were too academic or too cluttered and most importantly lacked “user interaction.” Feeling the urge to solve this dilemma, we decided to create a dictionary that would bring together the world’s cultures and languages by invoking the interactivity of today’s information age. Thus, we have set aside the following principles in an effort to proliferate the world’s first social dictionary.
The goals of Leximo are to:
- Formulate a vision in which Leximo is free and open to all users.
- Appeal to people who have an interest in world languages, culture and travel.
- Allow the contributions of users to directly translate into the advancement of Leximo.
- Bring together people of different ideologies, races, beliefs and cultures.
- The dictionary is an important part of modern life–a key component in education, communication, collaboration and most importantly in bringing people closer together regardless of differences in spoken language.
- Leximo is a global resource that must always remain open and accessible to all users.
- Users must have the right to utilize the available features of Leximo as appropriate.
- The effectiveness of Leximo as a public resource depends upon inter-operability, interactivity, innovation and participation worldwide.
- Free and open source definition, image and media availability promotes the development of Leximo as a public resource.
- Open community-based and user-friendly functions promote participation, accountability and trust.
- Commercial involvement in the development of Leximo reaps many benefits - a compromise between commercial and philanthropic incentives is critical.
- Leximo should enrich the lives of users who strive to utilize it as both a scholarly and social resource.
- Users should always remember to respect the ideas and contributions of all others.
- Advancing the public benefit aspects of Leximo is an important goal, worthy of time, attention and commitment.
Leximo invites all others who support the principles of the Leximo Manifesto to join with us, and to find new ways to make this vision of the world’s first social dictionary a reality.
Help spread the Manifesto online here: